[ddots-l] pre-amp set-up problem

  • From: "Rod" <roddj12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 11:45:26 -0500

Hi guys:

I just received my Presonus Eureka mic pre-amp, but I am facing a set-up
dilemma, which I need help with, please.

I have a Yamaha MG 12 channel mixer, and a delta 44 sound cart. My mixer has 4
mono inputs, and the others are stereos. The mic pre-amp is a one mono channel
amp.

     Should I patch the amp directly into the delta, or should I patch it to my
mixer. The thing is that, I need to monitor the audio via headphone when I am
recording vocals, or when a singer is singing in my studio. If I patch directly
into the delta, then I won't be able to hear the mic in the headphone, which
wouldn't be so pleasant.  Secondly, if I patch via my mixer, isn't that
undermining the purpose of having the pre-amp in the first place since the
signal from the pre-amp is being routed to the mixer first before reaching
sonar?

What do you guys do in this situation? How do you set your pre-amp in a similar
set-up?

Thanks

Rod