[ddots-l] Re: ddots-l Digest V8 #102

  • From: "provide.net" <nwsweet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 18:09:36 -0400

i Am usina sonar.2 Producer édition and jas.0 and cake takin.2 i watt to know Can i Save mye imputas in sonar to faste trac right, So Wren évier i open sonar i dont évent have to select mye m audio faste trac Sound carda? Cod You pelasse me witz the right anser tanks Nathan skeet ----- Original Message ----- From: "FreeLists Mailing List Manager" <ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ddots-l Digest Thu, 07 Apr 2011 Volume: 08  Issue: 102

In This Issue:
[ddots-l] Re: new member
[ddots-l] Re: Missing Plug-ins in Sonar X64?
[ddots-l] Re: Missing Plug-ins in Sonar X64?
[ddots-l] Re: Missing Plug-ins in Sonar X64?
[ddots-l] Control serfices
[ddots-l] Guitar Synth Question
[ddots-l] Re: new computer and DAW blues!
[ddots-l] Re: Guitar Synth Question
[ddots-l] Vocal pitch correction plug/ins

From: "Phil Muir" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ddots-l] Re: new member
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 08:39:26 +0100

Welcome George!

Regards, Phil Muir
Accessibility Training
Telephone: US (615) 713-2021
UK +44-1747-821-794
Mobile: UK +44-7968-136-246
E-mail:
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 _____

From: "Phil Muir" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ddots-l] Re: Missing Plug-ins in Sonar X64?
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 08:54:33 +0100

Chris, when you installed Wave Arts, did you install the Power Suite 5 64
bit plug-ins? If not then, it's possible that they may not show up. Having
said that, BitBrridge, should pick all of them up.  BTW, I have installed
the Power Suite 32 bit plug-ins for use in Sonar 32 bit, and the 64 bit ones
for SonarX64 and that's all working out great.  Hmm, just had another
thought.  Are your 32 bit plug-ins installed somewhere in the

Program Files (x86)

Folder?  My guess is that they will be because, that's usually where you
would find them. That would also explain why they are not showing up as you
won't have included any folder that contains 32 bit plug-ins in the .VST
scan. For example, if you have the 32 bit version of Sonar installed then,
you would find them in the:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Vstplugins

Folder.  Yet another good reason to install 32 bit Sonar along side as you
can then, simply add the 32 bit .VST folder to the scan. If you can locate the 32 bit .VST folder then, you will be able to add that as a folder in the .VST tab in options. If you then do a .VST scan again then, everything that
is .VST at least, will show up.   Mind you, nun of your 32 bit Waves or,
Wave Arts DXi plug-ins will ever show up in SonarX64 as they are only
compatible with 32 bit Sonar. I always use .VST now a days as I don't want
to have to think about what may or, may not work.  If I wanted to use DXi
then, I would have to find 64 bit DXi compatible installers for the plug-ins
in question.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:08:32 -0400
From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks Phil. I'll check into that, especially the Wave Arts
installers.
Shouldn't the VST versions of the Waves plug-ins still show up in
Sonar 64?  I did find the right folder containing them and added it
to the search list.
In fact, I have four folders in that list now, just to be sure I
have everything covered.

I'm going to check the Cakewalk Forums too.

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Phil Muir" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 16:40:10 +0100

They should if you have the correct folders in the list.

Regards, Phil Muir
Accessibility Training
Telephone: US (615) 713-2021
UK +44-1747-821-794
Mobile: UK +44-7968-136-246
E-mail:
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks Phil. I'll check into that, especially the Wave Arts installers.
Shouldn't the VST versions of the Waves plug-ins still show up in Sonar 64? I did find the right folder containing them and added it to the search list.
In fact, I have four folders in that list now, just to be sure I have
everything covered.

I'm going to check the Cakewalk Forums too.

Chris

following link:

------------------------------

From: "Nickus de Vos" <bigboy529@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ddots-l] Control serfices
Date: Thu,  7 Apr 2011 18:06:14 +0200

Hi has anyone tryed or used the mackie control universal pro? By the discription and specs it looks very accessible, don't think it has complicated settings and menus. A lot of the high end controlers has touch screens, endless menus and settings. This one looks straight forward, plug and play.

------------------------------

From: rjc@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ddots-l] Guitar Synth Question
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:15:36 -0400

From this message, I see there are a few git synth players out there. Just a
couple questions..

1. Has your experience been that they work better on acoustic rather than
electric guitars?  I did read something about that a few years ago.
Something about nylon strings too - maybe the pickups have more isolation
per string than magnetic pickups which would be used on steel or electric?

2. Can you play chords and fast licks on these newer synths like the axon
with the correct guitar / setup?  I had the Roland gr10 (about ten years
ago), and have played the gr30 in a store about 3 years ago and remain
unimpressed. Seemed like I still needed to watch how and what I played, and
chords were still kinda weirdly interpreted.  The gr30 I tried was being
driven via a strat-like electric guitar, so I'm thinking the nylon might
give superior tracking.

3. Any idea on where I could try an axon? I've never seen one in a store.

Thanx for any info...

-- Rich

-----Original Message----- From: Shawn Brock
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 5:27 PM
To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can't beat the Godin stuff.

I use the Multiac nylon stuff on gigs and to drive the Roland.  For
recording I go mostly unplugged, but I use the Godin for the rare plugged
tune I record on nylon.  I have a "cost deal".  Going to get one of the La
Patrie guitars soon for acoustic recording.

I was asked if I would be interested in a deal with Carvin, they also make a lot of guitars with synth access. The NS1, (nylon synth guitar), is just a
clear rip-off of the Godin.  Carvin has some features which I like better.
They offer knobs as aposed to sliders, and the knobs are stacked, (guitar
volume on bottom, synth volume on top). Plus the knobs are below the bridge
in more of a standard electric guitar fashion.  They also offer a lot of
color and neck options, and the Graph-Tech, ( spelling?) pickups.  The
Graph-Tech stuff is a little better in my opinion, but its still a Carvin.
The body isn't chambered at all, and it just feels like an electric guitar
that was hotrodded to me.

I'm past taking stuff just because its free.  Plus, no one wants to give
away free stuff anymore. I would rather just play what I like to play, even
if it costs me money.  I have never gotten a free instrument which I
liked...

The Axon products are better than Roland in a lot of ways.  I just don't
like the fact that you have to rack mount them, and you have to pay extra
for the expression peddles. I like that the Roland is all in one box. Like
I said though, Axon is better.

I use line6 amps, and they are good for what they are. That don't mean they are as good as a Fender twin or a Marshall Stack, but they bring both worlds
together somewhat for a lot less money...

Shawn Brock
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ddots-l] Re: new computer and DAW blues!
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 14:46:22 -0400

Just did.

D!J!X!

 _____
From: "Shawn Brock" <shawn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ddots-l] Re: Guitar Synth Question
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:16:49 -0700

Hey Rich,

I'll throw my thoughts out there.

I started on the GR 1, and the external pickup that it used at that time.
Now keep in mind, I can only speak about the GR 1, Gr 33 and GR 20, those
are the ones which I have the most experience with.

I haven't found that the synths track better on acoustic guitar. But I must
admit that I'm not the biggest fan of the external Roland pickups.  Now
having said that, I think the external pickups are worlds better than they
were. Not quite as good as having a pickup built into the guitar, but they
are tracking a lot better now than before.

Here are the 2 biggest problems with guitar players and synths that I see.

1: Setting the sensitivity

It seems like most guys always forget to set the sensitivity of the synth to their playing style and guitar. This is also the problem with trying out a
guitar synth in a store.  To really tell anything about it, you would have
to set the sensitivity of the guitar before trying to play on it.  I have
most of my strings setting from 5 to 7, depending on which guitar I'm using.
If a guitar has the internal pickup and the sensitivity is set to 10, it
becomes a huge mess.  Every slight pull off will trigger a note or 2, or
even 3.  It can be hard for us blind folks to go through the menus to set
the sensitivity, but that's the only way you can truly tell anything.

Problem 2, trying to play a guitar synth like a guitar.

Most guys plug in and at once start shredding.  They pay no mind to how a
sax player would play.  They just start playing AC-DC on a sax patch, or
organ patch. To play guitar synth does take some practice, and I'll be the
first to say that.

So if you are asking do you have to adapt your playing style, the answer is
yes.  Do the newer synths track better than the old days, heck yeah!

I have no trouble with having the synth pick up chords or anything like
that. This is only because I set up the sensitivity though. Before setting
it, each chord was a mess!

I could have bought a used GR 30 for $150, but didn't take it. For my money
you can't go wrong with the GR 33, or perhaps the new GR 55.

As for where you can try out Axon stuff, I have no clue.  I did a lot of
looking around, and I have never seen one in a store in the US.

Best,
Shawn Brock
----- Original Message ----- From: <rjc@xxxxxxx>

From: Rui Vilarinho <ruialby@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ddots-l] Vocal pitch correction plug/ins
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 20:32:45 +0100

Hi everyone

I confess that I'm not famous by my wonderful singing! But, maybe there's a chance of improved! Since I'm using the V Vocal Sonar plug-in.

But, I'm trying to find a tutorial for the Auto Tune plug-in. Version 5.

I can choose Soprano or others. I can choose the key and even the scale type. And vibrato.

Anyone can say if it's more accessible than this?

And What about the Mellodyne plug-in? anyone is using this one?

Or, another suggestion!.

Thanks

Rui Vilarinho

------------------------------

From: "bob Reid" <info@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 15:44:34 -0400

Hi Chris. Yow's the rest of the program running? Are all the Cakewalk soft
synthes working properly?
Bob.

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Smart

From: rjc@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 16:04:01 -0400

Thanx Sean, this is very helpful.
I'm gunna look around for that gr55 and at least give it a try in a store.
Later...

Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 16:17:42 -0400
From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Bob.

I'm still having trouble with plug-ins. I haven't bothered with
soft synths, but I rarely do anything with midi so they won't be a
priority.

Chris