[ddots-l] Re: When Should I Use 32 Bit As opposed To 16

  • From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:00:14 -0400

First of all, Sonar is already doing internal processing using 64-bit double precision, as long as you have the "use 64-bit audio engine" option checked.

Second, bit depth represents dynamic range, with 6dB per bit. So, your 16-bit signal has a maximum expressable dynamic range of 96dB. A 24-bit signal has a maximum available range of 144dB.

I'm not sure what benefit you would gain by saving/archiving things at 32-bit, since we definitely don't have equipment or ears to reproduce that level of dynamic range.

If you are exporting things for mastering, ask what bit depth and sample rate the mastering folks would like. If your audio is intended for DVD, you will want to at least export to 24-bit.

At 04:21 PM 7/31/2014, you wrote:
Hey Folks,

I do things with Sonar just because someone told me to once upon a time. I know that most things end up being 16 bit and 44.1K HZ. But would someone please explain when could I use 32 bit, or 24 bit, and what are the advantages and potential pitfalls?

Thanks,

ToneVoyager