[ddots-l] Re: What makes sonar 5 more accessible for us what has changed?

  • From: "Dan Rugman" <danrugman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 02:34:20 +0100

Hi Kylee,

The FW1884 is actually two things in one box. Its essentially an 8 in/out audio interface with preamps on each channel (like the delta 1010) with a reasonable motorised control surface stuck on top. Its a good all in one box solution if you like that kind of thing, but if you need loads of nobs for real time tweaking of softsynths and the like then you might need something bigger. The other thing to bare in mind is that you might want a different audio interface. You might want fewer ins and outs or if your really particular a different digital/analogue converter.

As for the Tranzport, its real selling point is that its wireless, which means that you can control recording, playback, and some basic mixing options from anywhere within about thirty feet of the computer. It's ideal for people who need to control things from the studio floor. It doesn't have any kind of audio in/out and if you're looking to fiddle the mix alot then this won't help.

If you're after general advice on what to get then I'm afraid it comes back to thinking about what you need and going a tiny bit bigger. For instance, if you need to record about 6 tracks then the FW1884 would probably cover it and the controls on the box might be enough for you, but if you're recording huge nunmbers of tracks then you'll need a big interface like one of the motus and a control surface like the Tascam US2400. You could also go for an analogue mixer and funnel a large number of tracks into a small number before they hit the audio interface.

If you only record a couple of tracks and need to use complicated effects automation then I'd go for a smaller audio interface and get a more comprehensive control surface.

The one thing I can't stress enough is that you should always look at what you buy before you buy it.

Hope this helps,

Dan
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kylee Maloney" <kylee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>