[ddots-l] Re: PT verses sonar

  • From: "Shawn Brock" <shawn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 09:12:14 -0800

Because we live in a world where who ever does the most advertising is the one branded as the industry standard.

PT has branded themselves as such from the start. Its like a slogan for them... Kind of like when a car maker will talk about there awards from car and driver.

Part of selling your product, is pronouncing that it is the best. PT was lucky enough to have to not have a lot of competition when they started, as computer based recording was no where near the popularity it is these days.

In the last few years I have heard more people complain about PT than any other software. I have also seen more people switch from PT to another host in the last few years than I have for any other daw software.

The facts are that when you jump from Mac to PC, and start integrating more and more outside hardware, you are going to have problems. 10 years ago, PT was a lot more stable than it is now. That's been my experience at least.

Part of what made PT so great back in the day was the fact that it was hardware specific, now it will work with darn near any interface. This has made it no better than anything else sold. Don't get me wrong, if access with jaws starts dwindling, we may all end up over there, but its not all its cracked up to be.

My judgments are based on the 100's of studios I have worked in, not my favoritism to one program or another.

Shawn Brock
----- Original Message ----- From: "neville" <neville@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>