[ddots-l] Re: Need Recommendations for Articles on Beginner Basics for Recording

  • From: Dani Pagador <axs.brl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 20:43:42 -1000

I can record fine i.e., the inputs and outputs are set right and I can
listen to the results.

But what I'd like to be able to do is develop a more consistent vocal
sound. My husband is sighted and can look at the meters, and says the
levels are soft. I am really green when it comes to working with
headphones to record, and am mic shy and am not sure how loud too loud
is re singing--grew up in a Filipino house where they liked that I
sang, and we had a Karaoke machine, but Mom didn't encourage letting
loose, so I really don't know what I can do or not do. (I go to
Karaoke bars to drink soda and watch other people sing and wonder at
their confidence and how I can get there.) Also don't know how to set
the MIDI backing track levels so I can balance things out.

Will go back to reading the CT Tutorial now,
Dani

On 10/9/15, Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

yep, and of course, Youtube!

At 12:11 AM 10/10/2015, you wrote:

I agree the scarlet is not difficult to get started on recording
vocals. Gonna check those books out Chris!!
As you learn and experiment, I would also recommend googling "sound on
sound" articles on topics of interests. I learned how to set up gates,
compressors for recording vocals and side chaining with both for last
minute projects.

On 10/9/15, Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ah ok. that should work very well. (grin)
I just got a Focusrite interface here as well, the Saffire Pro 26.

So, with the right input selected on your vocal track, the track armed,
etc.
what happens when you try recording yourself?

Chris

At 09:48 PM 10/9/2015, you wrote:

Hi, Chris.
Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get hold of the books.

I've got a Sure mic, idk whether 57 or 58 hooked up to a FocusRite
Scarlet
18.

On 10/9/15, Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Book recommendation: Home Recording Secrets for the Home Studio, by
Mike
Senior.  I haven't read it yet, but he has a similar book on
mixing
that is
excellent. More info at:
http://www.cambridge-mt.com/RecordingSecrets.htm

and this site, Recording
Revolution.http://therecordingrevolution.com/

Again, I haven't taken his recording course, but his mixing course
that
did take was great. He releases a ton of free content on his blog, on
Youtube etc. as well.

As for recording vocals, What sort of microphone do you have, and are
you
running it into a decent audio interface? Arm an audio track for
recording.
Make sure it's input column is set to wherever your microphone is
connected.  Now, make a very loud noise, yell right into that
microphone and
make sure you aren't hitting 0dBFS, meaning digital maximum.  Turn
your
microphone input's volume down, until shouting or singing loudly into
your
microphone doesn't get close to that 0dB mark.  Don't worry about
recording
quietly. If you have a decent quality interface and are recording
24-bit
audio, you can turn things up after the fact.

Chris

At 08:38 PM 10/9/2015, you wrote:

Hi, Everyone.
Are there articles/websites/books you can point me to so I can get
the
basics of recording under my belt? CT has some stuff, but assumes
you
know what you're doing.

I've got Sonar installed, but have mainly used it for mixing down
MIDI
and turning it in for class submissions. I now need to get in to
recording vocals and adding them to my MIDI, and am finding it's
waaay
more complicated than just singing in to a mic like you do at a
Karaoke bar--great fun, btw *smile*.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Dani

--- Learn to meditate and train your brain with Muse, the first
lab-grade
EEG biofeedback headband for home use!

PLEASE READ THIS FOOTER AT LEAST ONCE! To leave the list, click on
the
immediately following link:
doesn't
work
then send a message to: ddots-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and in the
Subject
line type unsubscribe For other list commands such as vacation mode,
click
on the immediately following link:
ddots-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq
or send a message, to ddots-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and in the
Subject
line
type faq
ddots-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subjectsubscribe

--- Learn to meditate and train your brain with Muse, the first
lab-grade
EEG biofeedback headband for home use!

PLEASE READ THIS FOOTER AT LEAST ONCE! To leave the list, click on the
immediately following link:
For
other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the immediately
following link: ddots-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subjectúq or send a

--
 Efren Chavez

immediately following link: ddots-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subjectunsubscribe