[ddots-l] Re: Mastering software

  • From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 12:28:53 -0400

They are nice, yes. They're also free from many places, since I believe Kjaerhus went out of business some years ago.

However, as CPU power and other things continue to increase, the quality of the tools often increases as well.

Usually for mastering, you want tools that are very transparent. You don't want to hear a compressor pumping or a limiter working. For example, I don't like Boost11 much, because I can really hear it acting on the material.

If you explore the LP64 compressor, be sure to pick say, the soft mastering preset, and actually explore and adjust the bands to taste. You can even solo each band, hear what is going on with just the midrange, for example.

A couple other mid/side stereo tools I've heard about but haven't tried yet are:
1. http://rekkerd.org/matthew-lindsay-ncl-phase-eq/

and apparently Voxengo have one called MSED.

If someone could check those out and get back to us, that would be great.

Chris

At 12:01 PM 9/21/2011, you wrote:
Hello, in my opinion the Kjaerhus audio plugins are very good in mastering, and more importantly they contain good built -in presets which can be quickly controlled using any screen reader for example in Sound Forge. I am very happy that I found this mailing list where we can discuss methods for working with music software using screen readers.
More about me:
http://www.johnykrekan.com/setlang-en.html?PHPSESSID=ed574a3be08fed4250c82228a3632fe3
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Smart" <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>