[ddots-l] Re: Fit to improvisation

  • From: "Gordon Kent" <dbmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:13:40 -0400

Oh yeah Laurie.  I use the fit to improv all the time when creating tracks for
live performance.  I'll tell you how I do it and you can apply it to what
you're doing.  It doesn't matter if the source is audio or midi.  I import the
original recording of a song into an audio track, and set the tempo as close as
possible in sonar.  You may need to slide the audio you import around to get it
to line up with the click.  It's always a good idea to leave some space up
front, like one measure.  The nudge feature in SOnar 4 is really handy for
this.  You'll want to have the playback click turned on while you are doing
this.  Make sure you are in overwrite record mode.  Now go to a midi track and
set it to a drum kit on one of your hardware synths.  You'll use that to tap in
the reference click.  Since you slid the audio up a bar ahead, you'll need to
enter the first 4 reference clicks first, since the fit to improv needs to have
clicks right from the beginning.  THis is why you set the tempo close to the
original.  After entering the first four reference clicks, turn off the record
metronome, go to bar 2, and press R.  You should hear the count-in and then
start tapping quarter notes along in time with the original recording.  You can
punch in if you find yourself off time, which is bound to happen now and then.
Once you get the reference click done, select the entire reference click track
(alt enter).  In the edit menu, select bounce to clips, which has the hot key
B.  Select the whole click track again, and run the fit improv function.  Mute
your reference track and it should work.
Gord