[ddots-l] Re: Employment versus Self-Employment: Options for the Blind Audio Producer

  • From: Kevin L Gibbs <kevjazz@xxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 12:53:56 -0500

Greg,
Thanks for your history.  Here's mine.

I have never made a dime outside the music business.  I'm now 52 years old.  I
started my first band when I was 12 or so.  We played weddings through my high
school years and we also warmed up for some major jazz performers in that time.

        In my college years I started playing cocktail piano and made a
reasonable living at it through the 80s.  In 1990 I moved to San Francisco to
focus on playing jazz.  While I did appear in the Monterey Jazz Festival twice
and released a Christmas album on Concord Jazz, it wasn't until I had an
accidental encounter with a label owner while subbing on Christmas Day 1993
that I started making the records that would bring me an international
following and a more serious income as a New Age pianist and composer.  I just
finished my 9th album in that series and will probably tour it in Asia next
year.
        I'm hoping to expand into more classical composition and film scoring.
Engineering and production are not my strong suits.  I'm primarily a composer
and player who leaves the production stuff to the pros whenever possible.  That
said, Sonar and Sibelius have been indispensable in my career so far.

thanks to DAvid and Bill and all of you for the help.

Kevin L. Gibbs