[ddots-l] Configuring_ soun_d_pat_ches_to_conform_t_o_Sonar’s_t empo

  • From: <ivanlopez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 11:04:34 -0700

Hello Steve,

I am working on all your suggestions.

I am also using the below CT lesson on “Using the Synth Rack View.

One of the challenges I am experiencing is accessing the synth
properties page by pressing “P” within the synth rack view; your
instructions are correct; it is also stated in the below CT lesson.

The CT manual states: "There are 5 hotkeys that execute important synth
rack functions." One of these is: "The letter P. Opens the current Soft
Synth's Properties page."

As of now, it does look not very straight forward and it may cause a
delay (pun intended).

It looks like one of those things you look at for a while and than the
epiphany comes after you realize that you have not executed a step
correctly or something.

Many thanks for your assistance my friend.

Cheers!

Ivan

33G. Using the Synth Rack View.
1. All the soft synths that you insert are in a list in the Synth Rack
view. You can use the Synth Rack View to insert soft synths into the
track pane, open their properties pages, delete them from your project,
and also control there parameters, and even go into automation record
and adjust there parameters. If you decide to not use a soft synth that
you have inserted, you should delete the associated MIDI and audio
tracks, and then delete the soft synth from the Synth Rack view. If you
don't delete the soft synth from the Synth Rack view, it will continue
to tax your system with the overhead it takes to load the soft synth
into SONAR. This can sometimes take up a lot of computing power.
2. Sonar's new Synth rack has more capabilities than previous versions
of SONAR. In addition, it's more accessible than before. As before, each
soft synth that you've inserted, is displayed in the Synth rack. You can
down an up arrow through them. You can TAB and SHIFT TAB through the
Synth Rack Controls for the current synth, and also right and left arrow
through nobs that have been assigned to control the current soft
synth’s parameters.
3. You open the synth rack view with ALT + 8. You can also open it via
the View menu. And if you ever lose focus in the Synth Rack View, press
F6 to reset the focus. To close the synth rack view, press CONTROL + F4.
Now here's a list of the Synth Rack controls, and what they are for.
A. The Soft Synth's name. Press ENTER on it, and the soft synth's dialog
opens.
B. The Preset box. Press ENTER and a Menu of available presets opens,
from which you can pick.
C. The mute button. Press ENTER to mute or unmute the soft synth.
D. The solo button. Press ENTER to solo or unsolo the soft synth.
E. The Freeze/Unfreeze Synth button. Press ENTER to toggle.
E. Read Automation button. By default it's on. Press ENTER to
disable/enable reading of automation for all assigned controls.
F. Write Automation button. By default it's off. Press ENTER to
enable/disable writing of automation for all assigned controls.
G. The Show Assigned Controls button. This will toggle the display of
any controls that have been assigned. To assign controls, press the
Application key on this button. The Assignable Control menu will open.
You can display the controls that are listed in this menu by pressing
ENTER on them so that they get checked. Then in the Synth rack, the
controls you checked will be displayed as knobs. This is great because
many soft-synth dialogs are inaccessible, except for their preset combo
boxes.
 H. The knobs. These are all the controls that you've assigned in the
form of knobs. Here's what you can do with them.
h1. To adjust them, num lock must be turned on. Then use num plus, and
num minus.
h2. If you wish to Write enable automation for just that control, then
press the application key, and from the context menu, check Write
Automation Enable. Note that for this to work, you don't hit the write
enable automation button, because that button write enables all
controls.
h3. If you wish to delete that assigned control, press the application
key, and from the context menu, press ENTER on Delete.
4. There are 5 hotkeys that execute important synth rack functions.
Mid Section Delete. Deletes the current soft synth.
The letter P. Opens the current Soft Synth's Properties page.
The letter O. Open the insert Soft Synth options dialog, where you can
choose options for what happens when you insert a soft synth.
The letter F. Open the Freeze Synth option menu.