[ddots-l] Re: Changing Tuning Reference With Soft Synths to A432

  • From: "Bill" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 18:10:30 -0400

Jay, who knew?  What a fascinating post to close out a long week.  I'm going
to try to find that documentary on Net Flicks.

I remember learning in school that A440 was not always 440 and that, until
standardization came in, the A used in one town or even one neighborhood
could vary a lot from the one used elsewhere.  In general, the people who
study these things have concluded that the pitch we tune to called A has
been gradually rising for centuries.  The deliberate move to lower it by 8
cycles per second is really interesting and seems to go against the trend.

As someone who has almost perfect pitch or, maybe better to say, pretty good
pitch memory, I have even once or twice been distracted by "period"
recordings of pieces such as Handel's Messiah on which the players used
instruments built around the time that the music had been composed.  Turns
out that those instruments don't play as well when tuned to the modern A 440
standard.  Some smart people worked out that they must have been tuned down
from where we have the pitch we call A today.  It does alter the character
of the music.  The Hallelujah chorus is almost in what we would call D-Flat.
It seems to me that the music sounds a bit more relaxed.

Very interesting stuff indeed.

Bill