[ddots-l] Re: Can I create and print simple chord charts using Sonar Producer?

  • From: Kevin Gibbs <kevjazz@xxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 10:53:03 -0500

The question is, whether things like that will actually print in 8.5. I used
to be able to print my markers view in 8.one. But I can't do it in a tad five.
So, God knows whether the contents of the staff you will actually print.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 13, 2015, at 9:19 AM, Bill <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello, David,

If you have the CakeTalking for SONAR scripts, check the main tutorial
document for references to the Staff View. For CakeTalking 8.8 users, see
Lesson 49.

As David Pinto wrote, SONAR’s support for printed notation is limited but it
certainly can be useful for some applications like teaching a sighted person
to play one of your compositions and arrangements. That being said, it will
not be the program you’ll want to use to publish your work.

Since it’s a relatively brief lesson, I will paste it in below with the
standard legalese that all copyrights are reserved:

BTW, David Pinto suspended development of Sibelius Speaking years ago. If
you are looking for an accessible notation program, consider our Lime
notation software with the Lime Aloud scripts. Write me at my
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx address to request access to a private link where you
can download the free, 15-day evaluation version of the software.

LESSON 49. THE STAFF VIEW.

49A. SONAR’S Staff Notation Capabilities.

SONAR’S staff notation abilities are limited. It's a better idea to use the
Sibelius notation program to print out staff notation. The Sibelius Speaking
scripts for Sibliues 3, make Sibelius totally accessible. That having been
said, you can use SONAR’S staff notation capabilities to print out nominally
readable music.

49B. Displaying Tracks in the Staff View.

1. You must be in SONAR’S Staff View when you want SONAR to print music for
sighted musicians. You open the Staff view from the View menu, or by pressing
ALT + 7. Like other views, you close the Staff view with Control + F4. Or you
can keep it open and move to other open views with CONTROL TAB and CONTROL
SHIFT TAB.

2. When nothing is selected in the Track Pane, only the track that you were
on in the Track pane will be displayed in the Staff View. However, if you
have multiple tracks selected in the track pane, then they will also be
displayed in the Staff view. Note that only those tracks that are displayed,
will be printed out. In the Staff view, you can open up the Pick a Track
dialog box and ARROW to any track that you wish displayed. Just press the
letter T, to open the Pick a Track dialog, and then ARROW to the track you
wish to display. Or to display more than one track, hold down SHIFT, and
ARROW through the list. Then press ENTER to return to the Staff View where
all the tracks you selected will be displayed in Staff notation.

3. You can not use the staff view to actually edit notes, but only to
configure the display of the notes for printing.

49C. Playing Individual Notes and Chords.

1. As you know, in the Event View, when you press CONTROL + SHIFT + SPACE,
you can step through individual notes one at a time and hear them. In the
staff view, you can step through not only notes but also chords. You use
CONTROL + RIGHT ARROW to go forward, and CONTROL + LEFT ARROW to go backwards.

2. Since you can not use the Staff view to change notes, one strategy for
editing the individual notes in chords would be to find the chords in the
Staff view with CONTROL + the LEFT or RIGHT ARROWS, and then CONTROL TAB, or
CONTROL SHIFT TAB back to the Event View, where you can do your editing.

49D. Setting the Clef.

1. If you wish to print out the music of the tracks that are displayed, you
first have to have the time signature and the key signature established. To
set these, open the Meter Key dialog box, by pressing ALT + I, then K. If you
don't set the time and key signatures, they default to 4/4, in the key of C.

2. You also have to set a clef for each of the tracks. To set a clef for a
track, press the letter L. The Staff Layout dialog box will open. Arrow
through the Track list box to select the track that you wish to set a clef
for. Then TAB to the Clef combo box. ARROW UP and DOWN to select the clef for
that track. Then press ENTER to return to the Staff View.

49E. Adjusting Note Durations.

1. Now, in order for the Staff View to display your music intelligently, you
must have recorded it while following the click. It should also be quantized.
Even though you may not want your music to be perfectly quantized for
listening purposes, it's important to do it if you plan on printing. So you
should have 2 versions of your song. One for printing, and one for listening.

2. You should have the durations of notes quantized also, by making sure that
the Quantize Durations checkbox in the Quantize dialog is checked when you
Quantize. You see, when you record in real time, often your fingers are
released from the keys before, or after the next note is pressed. When
recording music for notation, don't use a sustain pedal, but always play
legato. Also, don't play staccato. The goal is to have all the notes last
till the next note starts. Of course, if you want to deliberately sustain
notes past the next notes entrance then do that. Otherwise release the notes
as best as you can, when the next note starts.

3. There are additional tools available that will let your note durations be
displayed in a notation friendly manner. Even though you may have played as
accurately as possible, and then quantized your durations, there still may be
some note durations that unnecessarily end before the next note, or overlap
the next note. To make the Staff View not take your performed durations so
literally and print a whole bunch of small rests, press the D key. This
toggles the fill durations button. When fill durations is active, the music
looks much more like you intended. And, if you press the D key twice quickly,
you'll toggle the trim durations button. When the trim button is on,
unnecessary overlapping ties are eliminated. You will need a sighted
assistant to tell you the state of these buttons.

4. An additional aid to displaying your notes accurately is the Display
Resolution Combo box. If you press Q once, the shortest valued note and rest
that will be displayed will be eighth notes. Pressing Q twice quickly will
allow the display of only sixteenth notes and rests and longer values. And,
pressing Q 3 times will set the shortest displayed note and rest to
thirty-seconds.

5. By trimming the durations, filling the durations, and setting your display
resolution, you will solve most of the duration problems. However, these
buttons are also not perfect. You should finally check things out in the
Event View, by moving up and down the duration column. Whenever a note
duration is not right, you can adjust it in the duration column.

6. If you have inserted chord symbols in the Event View, then in the Staff
View, it is best to set their font size to 20 points. This makes the symbols
comfortably large enough for sighted musicians to read in performance
conditions. To do this, do the following.

a. Open the Staff Notation dialog with the letter L.

b. Tab to the Font combo box, and press C, to select chord text.

c. SHIFT TAB to the Font button and press it. The Font dialog opens.

d. TAB to the Font size edit field and type 20. Then press the OK button.

7. Once the music is quantized, the display of durations is adjusted, the
time and key signatures are set, the clef is set, and the chord font is set,
you can start the process of preparing for printing.

49F. The Print Preview Window.

1. In order to print, you must be in the staff notation window. Make sure
that only those tracks that you wish to print are displayed in the Staff
View. You must then open up the Print Preview window, and select the size of
the staves and their contents. Follow these steps.

a. Open up the Print Preview window, in order to select the size of the
staves and notes. To do this, first get into the file menu by pressing ALT +
F, then UP ARROW once to the More sub menu. Open it with a Right ARROW.

b. In the More sub menu, Down Arrow to Print Preview, and press ENTER.

c. In the Print Preview window, open the Staff View Configure dialog box, by
pressing ALT + F. That's the letter F, as in figure.

d. Use the ARROW keys to select choice 0, 1, or 2. Each of these choices
displays the music in a different size. Have a sighted musician advise you on
which choice he prefers. Usually, choice 2 is the safest choice.

e. Press the ENTER key to exit the Configure dialog box, and return to the
Print preview window.

f. Press ALT + P to start your printer. You may get other dialog boxes
relating to your printer that you have to negotiate.

g. Lastly, when printing starts, you will be returned to the Staff View.

2. It should be noted, that SONAR’S notation capabilities are not publishing
quality. You cannot insert repeat marks, or display odd groups of rhythmic
units like groups of 5, or 7. And you can not define exactly how many bars go
across the page. That having been said, SONAR’S notation abilities include
chord symbols, graphic crescendo and decrescendo marks, text dynamics, and
lyrics. So you can create useable charts for musicians to read from, that
will often get the job done.