[ddots-l] Re: A suggestion for one team talk session

  • From: "Steve Spamer" <stevespamer68@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:55:18 -0000

DJX, you're right on the money...access is primarily a labour of love...and in
my case initially a labour of selfishness lol.  The "charts" don't make for
good reading, but sometimes an encouraging word, a show of support or an act of
positive involvement is enough for me to continue.

The wider picture is that companies do take notice of the efforts some do...and
this builds good relations.  Who knows, if the drip drip approach continues,
things will slowly get better and better, and these relationships with these
companies will only grow.  The thing is, I'm sure they are quite aware of the
problems, division and hurdles we have within this community, hence maybe why
they would leave well alone.

One thing I know is that, it is very unclear on what to do from my point of
view.  I don't really know what people want, I don't know what it is they will
really support or what they would be happy with.  Reaper is a good example.
Lots of talk about Reaper being a good alternative to Sonar.  Well, lets look
at those charts for Reaper...in the time I've made support for Reaper with all
the HSC sets, I don't mind telling the list, only 1 person has actually
purchased a set...and they do not subscribe to any list that I know of.

So, taking that on board, would continuing support for sets for Reaper be a
good move on my part?...well, absolutely not...what do I do?  The choice for
users to use a number of screenreaders with Reaper is a great thing...and as
George mentioned in a previous post, this support would be a wonderful thing to
achieve across the board.  Thing is, what happens is that it pigeon hols a
group and marginalises existing accessibility.

This muddies the waters even more, even though the result of having more choice
is positive, it isolates the possible avenues for access solutions.  Meaning,
if all you want to do is use a platform like Reaper and go no further than the
boundries it has, that's great...if you want to go to a higher level, how do
you do it? Who is making this access available?...because there will be no one
addressing it, or if they are, like DJX it's just too much hassle to distribute
it.

Money is a massive factor, I totally accept that, but like with every walk of
life, you cut your cloth accordingly.  At this current moment in time, it is
much more financially viable for me to do a private job for a professional,
then it is to make a set made available for all.  Now that's really a sad state
of affairs for our situation, but this "professional" needs a solution and will
make money with that solution.  They invest in their work with the purchase of
software they need to do a job.  That investment demands an access solution and
commitment from the user to learn...at the end they have a solution, they know
how to use it and they can do their job/make money.

I have lost count of the number of times someone has wrote to me and said "can
you make this library accessible?", but I can't afford more than $20/$30 for
the solution.  Now this library could be in the region of $800/$1000...now what
am I supposed to think?  It's quite clear, no investment equals no commitment.
So, with that lack of investment, why do users demand total commitment from
someone else?  Remember, these free options are actually being run on a system
that needs the commitment of a PC and internet access most of the time.

Jumping to a screenreader like Jaws is massive, I get that, but if I'm running
NVDA and Reaper, how can I equally jump to the demands of wanting access to
software that costs much more? I don't get that at all.  Money talks and access
can be done, there just isn't enough money in this field, or enough money
channeled towards accessibility.  Things are left for individuals to invest
there time, skills and hard work to make current solutions...and for the likes
of DD, Jim Snowbarger, Victor Goralov, etc I applaud them whole heartedly.

As Mike said I think, we're at a crossroads.  So, we might find some go one way
and some go another, maybe that would be the best way, rather than to try and
make it one united approach...each way can make progression and give specific
choice! Best Steve.