[ddots-l] Re: A suggestion for one team talk session

  • From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 15:15:57 -0400

Is that fair? I mean to the developer. Let's say there are 100 CT users who all
want NK. Who pays Victor for those 100 licenses for his software? DancingDots?
Should he just give them away? If he were to charge 100 dollars for NK, that
would be 10,000 dollars he'd be losing out on, and countless hours of work gone
unpaid for.
I guess you could work out a discount price (if he agrees), or let each person
buy the plug individually. For example, do you see Steve charging JSonar users
for his sets and giving it away for free to CT users because they've paid for
CT? No, you want the product, you pay the developer for it, regardless of what
access technology they are using. As someone who's worked in the software
development field, I can tell you that it's only fair to pay a developer for
the many hours that go into coding a piece of software.
IMO, that's one of the reason nothing will ever get done in this community when
it comes to accessibility and access, everybody just wants the free stuff,
nobody wants to pay; it's why those of us who can develop access to our own
stuff privately, and don't even bother trying to release it to the mainstream,
because it would be a waste of time and just added work to write docs, give
support etc. Unfortunately this kind of work takes allot of time to do, so we
are then torn between making money elsewhere to sustain ourselves and our
families, or developing stuff to help the community but go without income.
We are a small community as it is, and those in the community who are willing
to pay are even a smaller group, so that's gonna be an everlasting issue lol.

Regards, D!J!X!