[softwarelist] Re: Using Ovation with VA and Laser

  • From: Gav Crawford <gav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:10:06 +0100

In message <74c9687d50.alan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dr Alan Leighton <alan.leighton2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <hD2CJfCM8zYKFwnN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In message <09775a7d50.alan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dr Alan Leighton
>> <alan.leighton2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

>>>I have a Samsung CLP550a which is a Duplex Laser. I am using VA from
>>>time to time using OPro with a Post Script 2 Driver and it works fine
>>>but when I try to duplex nothing happens although OPro is set OK. I
>>>guess it is because of not being in tune with Hostfs. Opro works fine
>>>in duplex mode on the PC side. Any ideas how I can do the same on VA.

>> The word "feed(s)" springs to mind. I could have sworn that Gavin
>> Crawford had some nice way of handling them - ISTR they are bits of
>> PostScript that you get the printer driver to include.

>> You may also be able to use the printers control panel to put it into
>> duplex mode.

> Where are you Gavin  Crawford ? How does one use the printers control
> panel to put it into  duplex mode when in VA?, by going into an
> Ovation document then file> print>set long edge, save?.

Way back in the distant past I did post to this list a detailed
description of how to add duplex settings to a postscript printer
definition. After doing a search I found the post, see:
http://www.davidpilling.info/cd/DavidPilling/Maillist/2002_09.txt
and scroll down past halfway. The message is dated Mon, 09 Sep 2002
and the subject is Duplex Printing.

The PostScript commands to switch the printer into duplex mode are
device specific, so the commands in my posting may not work with your
printer. You need to check the PPD file from the Windows/Mac driver to
find the correct codes.

--
Gavin Crawford