[softwarelist] Re: Text format in OvPro 2.77

  • From: Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 08:59:14 +0100

David Pilling wrote:
> John Grogan writes
> >Ovation Pro's algorithm for choosing variants may be simple but it
> >doesn't

> I never said it was simple - just that it doesn't work as well as one
> would like.

> >has it been tweaked to accommodate some particular fonts to try to
> >make it appear more intelligent than it really is?

> It has not been tweeked for particular fonts - however it does depend
> on a knowledge of font names - e.g. if the name has "bold" in then
> it assumes that is a bold font. If the font designer decides to use
> "reallyblack" then it won't recognise that as bold.

Please forgive me for sticking my neck out, but other RISC OS apps get
B and I right, even when they map to strange things like
'xxx.yyy.Condensed.Black.Oblique'.

My understanding of RISC OS font names is as follows:
 Normal      = N or N.X
 Bold        = N.B
 Italic      = N.I or N.X.I
 Bold Italic = N.B.I or N.I.B

where
 N = (eg) '<Font$Path>Times' or '<Font$Path>Times.Condensed'
 X = 'Medium', 'Regular', 'Roman' or 'Book'.
 I = 'Italic', 'Oblique' or 'Inclined'.
 B = 'Bold', 'Black', 'Demi', 'Heavy', 'Extra' or 'Ultra'
     or something which contains one of these (eg 'SemiBold')
        but not 'xxxLight' (eg 'UltraLight').

Thus, surely a program only needs to consider the last 2 elements of a
pathname when deciding which of the 4 variants a fontname represents?  It
also needs to know what N is, even when B and/or I are selected, and must
take X into account when it exists.

> Font Hull ( Black / Black.Oblique / Light / Light.Oblique ) is even
> more perplexing in that although the default is Hull.Black, the B and
> N buttons both yield Hull.Light.  Just to add to the confusion, B+I
> and N+I both yield Hull.Black.Oblique!

A program has a choice in this instance because:
 if N = 'Hull' then B = 'Hull.Black' and I doesn't exist.
 if N = 'Hull.Black' then I = 'Hull.Black.Oblique' and B doesn't exist.
 if N = 'Hull.Light' then I = 'Hull.Light.Oblique' and B doesn't exist.

Whichever one is chosen, it should be able to switch between N, B and I
logically.  It would also be possible, of course, to devise a method to
recognise all 4 variants sensibly ('Light' being interpreted as 'Medium'
in this case).

If John wants to use B and I to select all Hull variants in OP as things
stand, 'Hull.Light' and 'Hull.Light.Oblique' must be renamed.  But this
isn't as simple as it might appear - I can do it for you, John, if you
care to send me me your entire Hull font directory.)

Chris Bell.