[softwarelist] Re: Text format in OvPro 2.77

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 14:05:25 +0100

In message <4fa7c1ff54rkp@xxxxxxxxx>, Richard Partridge <rkp@xxxxxxxxx> writes

I brought this up a very long time ago, but it fell on stony ground.

Well for a reason...

If it isn't possible to correct the fault, which makes it awfully
easy to choose the wrong font by mistake, could the B and I icons
perhaps be removed?

You can pick fonts without using those icons.

, and while we RISC OS afficionados will put up with a
lot, I can't imagine the PC world accepting this sort of thing.

They don't. Fonts on Windows have a maximum of four family members. They are defined as bold, italic etc. there is no guessing from names.

Presumably this coding goes back to the days when no-one expected
more than four fonts in a family.

No. At the point the code was written there were fonts with many family members.

It is quite a tough problem, people can (and have) thought up all sorts of names. On some machines, Times can have four members on others a dozen.

Having a text file that defines the weights is one solution - but opens the possibility of people assigning different weights, not good when you want to be able to swop files.

Someone on this list did suggest what seemed like a reasonable scheme. However the above "reason" for not doing it comes into play...

I'm sorry how things have turned out, but I can't see any progress on OP (Windows or RISC OS) without some change.