[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS mappings for Office files

  • From: Ewen Pring <Ewen_Pring@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 16:34:15 +0100

David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 4 Sep 2013:

>>It is a shame there are so many different lists of file
>>translations/mappings/types for different apps on RISC OS (networking,
>>internet, CD, compression...) and that they can't all just use the
>>internet Mimemap file instead, which seems to be the most

> Check the SparkFS !ReadMe, I believe it uses MimeMap - SFS has been
> around a long time, and at the start there was no system wide resource
> to use.

!ReadMe says under SparkFS 1.34...
"Now use MimeMap module for maping extensions to types if SparkFS code
fails. Added code to !Run to initialise MimeMap module."

In that case I imagine what is happening is that in the case of .doc
files (which is what caused the problem I first noticed), the
Extensions file supplied with SparkFS 1.43 contains an entry for doc
that maps to RISC OS text file type &fff rather than &ae6 as used by
Easiwriter and sprite icons. So the SparkFS code runs first and finds
a match, and maps it to text, and never looks in Mimemap.

If this is the case, the other 4 entries I gave in my earlier email
today (xls, odt etc) do not need to be added to the Extensions file
after all, as they would be picked up by Mimemap.

Perhaps it would be best in that case to empty the SparkFS Extensions
file of all entries so that it uses nothing but Mimemap, to avoid any
other possible conflicts in future, as the information contained ages.

--
Ewen Pring, St. Albans, Herts
using RISC OS 5