[softwarelist] SparkFS mappings for Office files

  • From: Ewen Pring <Ewen_Pring@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 13:03:55 +0100

Hello,

Recently I noticed that a zip file I'd created on Windows, containing
some Word files, had those files typed as text when opened in SparkFS
(which of course meant I couldn't double click to open them in
Easiwriter for example).

So I worked out that the file !sparkfs.config.Extensions needs to be
updated for similar files, to cure the problem. The new entries are as
follows (there are now RISC OS apps that will read all these
filetypes);

0xa7e docx
0xa7f xlsx
0xa81 odt
0xba6 xls

In addition the following line is amended;

0xae6 doc

I've also attached my complete updated Extensions file to this posting
(entries interspersed in hex order), but I'm not sure if this mailing
list will allow attachments.

Perhaps these changes could be incorporated into the next new version
of SparkFS, and I expect there are more file mappings that others
could come up with too.

It is a shame there are so many different lists of file
translations/mappings/types for different apps on RISC OS (networking,
internet, CD, compression...) and that they can't all just use the
internet Mimemap file instead, which seems to be the most
comprehensive.

Best regards

--
Ewen Pring, St. Albans, Herts