[softwarelist] Re: Printing OPW and PDF files containing 1bpp TIFFs (sprites)

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:59:58 +0100

In message <44E4B7B5.7080708@xxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> writes

However, when I printed the same document to paper from the PDF file, the WHITE areas of the pictures appeared as a faint banded grey tone ... as tho' someone had shaded over the white background of the picture very lightly with a stick of charcoal in a horizontal motion.

First thing that springs to mind - screening. When you're printing to Distiller you're printing to a PostScript printer.

The key thing then is if "Direct PostScript" is selected in OPW Print choices.

If it is, then OPW generates the PostScript, this is good because it can handle things like masked (transparent) images which Windows can't. But it can also add screening and it is up to you to take responsibility for setting this to what you want.

So in OPW, Print, tick Print Setup, Separations, Screen, untick PostScript screen, try again.

Or quick test, deselect Direct PostScript and print again.

I'm assuming you are driving your Laser Jet via PCL and not via PostScript which is often an option.

(quite a useful option if the final product is going to be rendered as PostScript)

-- David Pilling email: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx web: http://www.davidpilling.net post: David Pilling P.O. Box 22 Thornton Cleveleys Blackpool. FY5 1LR UK fax: +44(0)870-0520-941