[softwarelist] Printing OPW and PDF files containing 1bpp TIFFs (sprites)

  • From: Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:38:45 +0100

Recently I have created a number of OPW documents containing text and simple B&W pictures. The original line art was scanned at 1200dpi, edited in Adobe Photoshop CS2 (mainly using the eraser tool), then saved as 1200dpi TIFFs, which were then dropped into frames in the OPW documents.

The results looked very good ON SCREEN within OPW and after printing to Acrobat Distiller with resolution set to 1200dpi. The documents looked equally good when PRINTED onto paper from OPW using a HP LJ1220.

However, when I printed the same document to paper from the PDF file, the WHITE areas of the pictures appeared as a faint banded grey tone ... as tho' someone had shaded over the white background of the picture very lightly with a stick of charcoal in a horizontal motion.

Can anyone explain why the white areas of the pictures are no longer WHITE in the PDF files? Is it related to OPW, Acrobat Distiller, Photoshop, the TIFF format, or what?
--
CB