[softwarelist] Re: Picture modifications

  • From: Peter Newble <mailing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 02:31:59 +0100

In article <004701c665a6$d877bc60$d7fbe5d4@mypc2>, David Pilling
<flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >What I hadn't appreciated, before experimenting as a result of
> >this thread, is that there are circumstances where Ovation Pro
> >seems to get confused. If, with Brightnesss=0 you enter a number,
> >say 50, into its

> I don't grasp all that followed - are you talking about RISC OS or
> Windows?

Sorry, RISC OS. I haven't tried Ovation Pro for Windows since one of
the earliest beta (or even alpha) versions, so I can't comment on
that.

> Doesn't clicking on OK close the dialogue box, preventing any
> further interaction with it?

Sorry again, I should have said adjust-clicking (to keep the dialogue
box open). Thinking about it, adjust-click is probably my default
action with the OK button in such boxes as Modify text, Modify text
frame etc. -- making changes and confirming them at each stage until
I'm happy (as with document and filer windows, come to that --
closing them to open the parent, more often than not). But with the
Picture > Process? box, as long as the "Update" option is set, these
changes happen dynamically so there's no need to adjust-click OK --
and in fact that can cause problems, as I explained before. That's
the only reason I mentioned this in the first place, because it's
inconsistent; whereas adjust-click on OK is /necessary/ for Ovation
Pro to read intermediate settings with the Modify text box, etc., it
can cause them to be ignored in the Picture > Process? box if you
forget to press return, tab or arrow keys first, and then it can be
confusing that the value in one of the writable icons appears to be
being ignored when you switch between them using return (or whatever)
in the usual way. I've never thought about why this is happening
before -- just put it down to an occasional Ovation Pro quirk I
suppose, and closed and re-opened the troublesome dialogue box in
mild irritation . . .

> > > I want to change the brightness of an inserted picture but it
> > > only accepts the nudge buttons entering a figure it ignores.

> It looks wrong to me (on Windows) - these situations are always a
> problem. One approach is to change the value as the user types - I
> now do that in some cases. Problem with that is that intermediate
> values may be far from the final value.

On balance this is one of the things I like about Photoshop and a few
other Mac apps I use. As you say, if a parameter is set to 100% and
you change it to, say, 90%, the function it sets will jump momentarily
all the way down to 9% before jumping back up to 90%, but as I'm
probably looking at the keyboard at the time that's not as much of a
problem (for me, at least) as it might first appear . . .

> The other approaches are to use tab or change the usual mode of
> operation of Return. ISTR sometimes on RISC OS the cursor up/down
> keys also force a value to be read.

Yes they do, and in the case of the Picture > Process? dialogue box
the same anomalous effect applies as with return and tab (i.e. what I
described when adjust-clicking OK before moving between fields using
those keys).

Peter Newble.