[softwarelist] Re: Ovation W to pdf

  • From: Peter Prewett <pprewett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:40:56 +1000

David Pilling wrote:
In message <4862CF53.8090407@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Peter Prewett <pprewett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
Ovation Windows but the picture itself was drawn as a sprite and had a mask

That is a troublesome area...

displays correctly in Ovation Pro but it is the conversion to pdf from Ovation that the mask gets converted to black.

I'd suggest configuring your copy of Ovation Pro for Windows to use "direct PostScript" Misc->Choices->Print then print to PDF again.

It is hard to summarise the situation on Windows with regards to transparency. On classic windows there is no support, and you do it by eor'ing bitmaps, the PostScript drivers don't support this. As with RISC OS there are two major classes of printer drivers meta file and PostScript. Now no doubt transparency support has appeared over the years, but that doesn't mean printer drivers have been upgraded to understand it.

That appears to work on the few pages I have checked so far.

I think it does mean though I have to remember to set the choices each time I use Ovation Pro for Windows, as it is a global setting rather than a document saving.

Thanks again for your help it is appreciated.

Peter

--
Peter Prewett, Tumut, New South Wales