[softwarelist] Re: OPW -- "not enough memory"

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 18:02:50 +0000

Hi,

After talking about it for a long time, I have linked Ovation Pro for Windows so that it can use more than 2GB of address space.

The new installer is at:

www.davidpilling.info/ovnproi.exe

(2.92 - 18th December 2006)

Use at your own risk.

As I said a day or two back in this thread you will have to have configured Windows XP so that it is possible for applications to get more than 2GB of address space.

Many interesting questions, for example what happens on Windows XP 64 - where presumably there is a lot more address space.

(32 bits give you 4GB of address space, which can be divvied up as 2+2 or 3+1 for apps+operating system)

Also has any one any experience of other DTP/wp apps with big documents? The problem is that although you have 2GB of address space, you're unlikely to get 2GB of stuff in memory because some fragmentation of the address space will take place.

However there are ways around this, like not holding all the document in memory at the same time.

I reflect that when I set off writing Ovation Pro (in 1992) the concern was if it would run on computers with 1MB of memory and how to handle large graphics files - i.e. files of a few 100K size.

When you start talking about Gigabyte files the game becomes different.