[softwarelist] Re: OPW and CrossOver_11 for MacOS X

  • From: Clive Bonsall <c.bonsall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Pilling <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:23:10 +0100

Hi David

Thanks for this ...

> Hi,
>
> In message <69C41ED1-62C7-4004-A2BF-D44DE5C4936A@xxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall
> <c.bonsall@xxxxxxxx> writes
>> 1. Antialiasing …
>
> I find it interesting that my copy of Ubuntu, makes no secret of the fact
> that it is using 'cleartype' technology. MicroSoft made much of having
> invented this technique. There is argument about whether it did, but my point
> is that Linux can be set up to use various patented software techniques (or
> not) for font rendering.

There is also a version of CrossOver for Linux and I found the following
information online regarding anti-aliasing:
http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=827739;
The workaround suggested is:

> ENABLING SUBPIXEL REDERING/ANTI-ALIASING IN CROSSOVER

> First you need to start Crossover Run Command, pick the bottle [i.e. OPW] you
> want to enable anti-aliasing in, and for the name of the command to run enter:
> regedit

> Then proceed to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Control Panel>Desktop and set (or create
> the key if it doesn't exist) to:
> FontSmoothing=2 (string key)
> FontSmoothingType=00000002 (dword key)
> FontSmoothingGamma=00000578 (dword key)
> FontSmoothingOrientation=00000001 (dword key)

I have no idea what any of this means, or whether it will work for CrossOver on
a Mac

>> -- but the font name ("Times New Roman") is the same in Windows and
>> MacOS. Is it possible to correct this via font mapping? Alternatively, is
>> there
>> any way to force OPW to select TNR as the default substitution font?
>
> I'd be interested to see what font names are being put in documents.

I will send you the DDL files from both the Win7 and CrossOver installations
for the same document (off list) plus some background information

> The font manager (in OPW) gives you a lot of scope for mapping font names.
> The only snag or secret is finding out what names are being used - once you
> know source and destination names all you have to do is set up a mapping.
>
> For example RISC OS font names have dots in Homerton.Bold. So there can be
> tricky bits like that.
>
> See Appendix A in the manual. It says there
>
> "By selecting an empty string
> for the Original name you can set a default
> replacement font for any missing fonts which are
> not covered by explicit replacements."
>
> So that's how you set up the default replacement font.

Thanks, that's useful to know. I'll give it a try.

Best wishes

==
Clive Bonsall

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.