[softwarelist] Leading calculation for lines of differing sizes

  • From: "John Grogan" <johngrogan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "David Pilling \(softwarelist\)" <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 00:49:09 -0000

Hello, David,

When using relative leading between lines of differing sizes, I note that (for
Homerton Medium font) the actual leading is the given percentage of the size of
the line above the leading plus approximately 0.225 * ( size of line below -
size of line above ).  Is this how the leading is calculated?  If so, is the
0.225 (a) correct, (b) universal for all fonts and sizes and (c) arbitrary - or
does it have some deep mystical significance?

Regards
John Grogan

PS: I couldn't find any reference to the subject in the manual but I did notice
a couple of typos in the section about relative leading.  In the first
paragraph, it says that the line spacing is 45pt + 20% of 54pt (instead of
45pt) and in Fig 5.7 it shows the results of this calculation as 54.09pt
(instead of 54pt).

John Grogan