[softwarelist] Re: Leading calculation for lines of differing sizes

  • From: "John Grogan" <johngrogan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "David Pilling \(softwarelist\)" <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:44:13 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Pilling" <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 2:02 PM
Subject: [softwarelist] Re: Leading calculation for lines of differing sizes

font_stringbbox() given all characters from ASCII 33 to 255 and scaled for
text of unit height

Aye and there is another story. Do you cover just codes 32 to 126 or 32 to
255? If I had to guess I'd say that OP has always used 32 to 255 for
leading and Impression used 32 to 126. The codes above 127 tend to have
taller characters.

A number of points:
(a) I should have included ASCII 32 as you do - it is technically a printing
character and is not necessarily blank.
(b) I should have said "...and scaled for font of unit height" not "...and
scaled for text of unit height".
(c) I think you have to include the full character set. The bounding box
primarily determines the position of the lowest point in the font relative
to the baseline.  If you don't include all the characters, the last line
could overflow the bottom of the frame.

There is an option on text frames to set how far down the first line of
text is, depending on this range.

Interesting point there.  I have always used the default "Accent" for the
first line - partly because it is the default but mainly because it does
exactly what it says on the tin i.e. ensure that the baseline is always in
the same relative place and that all characters fit comfortably below the
top of the frame.  Pragmatic but aesthetically good too!

Purely from observation, "Accent" seems to place the baseline at a
distance from the top of the frame equal to the nominal font height (plus
inset, if any).  This gives plenty of room - even for a font like Flourish
which has a bounding box height 22% bigger than the nominal font height!
Font bounding boxes could be even bigger than this of course but they
really shouldn't.  Even if such a font did turn up, Ovation has other
options which would handle it.

I think we've just about done this subject to death now but hopefully some
useful reference information has emerged.  Maybe even material for the
manual???

Thanks again for your help (and patience!).

Regards
John Grogan