[softwarelist] Archiving RISC PC

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Pilling <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 23:22:16 +0000

Hi,

I mentioned a few weeks back that I was going to put away my RISC PCs. I did that today.

Knowing there was a battery on the motherboard I thought I'd remove it - thinking like on a PC I'd flip it out of a holder in a couple of seconds.

Turned out they'd both leaked. The oldest machine, one of the first batch handed over to companies at the Harrogate show was badly damaged, I'd not bet on it working. The other a newer RPC 700 had leaked less.

The batteries are soldered to the pcb, I had to completely disassemble both machines and then cut them off.

I'm telling you this tale in the hope that if you think you have a RPC stored for future use you'll be aware of Acorn's own Y2K style self-destruct mechanism.