[darkice] Re: dumpfile size 4G+

  • From: Borut Mrak <borut.mrak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: darkice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 16:21:18 +0100

Hello Friedrich,

We're using the builtin (and very badly documented) feature to cut our archive into more manageable pieces.

This allows us to save mp3 stream (without headers, but can be opened in - for instance - Audacity, or fixed with mp3val so it can be played by any player) and also combine files back together without any gap. Our previous archiving solution created gaps of multiple seconds, which was very unfortunate when a show was being cut in the middle.

I don't remember the exact URL I used to do this (I got the information from multiple places), but this one (https://sites.google.com/site/glyman3home/darkice-file-dump) contains a script that is similar to what we use now. If you're interested I can upload our scripts to github. We use runit to run darkice (so it auto-restarts should it crash) and hourly cron jobs to signal darkice to do the cutting and some glue to properly (re)name the files.

We do however have a problem that i've been struggling with for a while now, so I might as well ask now, if someone could help. Occasionally the connection from the encoder machine (on our internal network) and icecast (external) fails and when that happens, darkice also stops archiving the stream to disk. I could probably solve this by using [file-x] sections instead of archiving from [icecast-x], but that would mean running another encoder and I haven't come around to doing it yet. The problem does not happen often, maybe once a month, but it is annoying.

best regards,
Borut Mrak
Radio Študent, Ljubljana (FM 89.3)

On 12/05/2014 03:38 PM, Friedrich Strohmaier wrote:
Hi @ll,

the dumpfile of our running mp3 stream
http://livestream.wueste-welle.de:8000/mp3
is growing and growing - since Tue, 02 Dec 2014 17:00:51 +0100.
Current size: 4.6G.

This makes it impossible thinking the stream to be run on a raspberry pie.  I
wonder wether this is intended behaviour and if so, wether this is any good
for.

Any thoughts of this?

I'm running darkice from the svn-repo version 1.2 (560??)[1] on Archlinux
64-bit.

[1] Any chance to get information about this from a built binary?

Friedrich