[dance-tech] Re: post / choreographic

  • From: "nathaniel stern" <nathaniel.stern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ginslov@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:42:34 +0100

Hey Everyone.

Nathaniel Stern here; Jeanette Ginslov emailed and asked me to join
the discussion re: our collaboration circa 2001. I'm currently an
artist and PhD student at Trinity College, Dublin, writing on
interactive art and embodiment for my dissertation - more on me and my
art work is online at http://nathanielstern.com
I'll also be taking up a digital studio art post at the University of
Wisconsin - Milwaukee in the Fall.

Jeannette sent me the below email about elaborating on the term
"enfleshed machine" I used for our performance. Admittedly, at the
time, it was a bit idiosyncratic and I thought it sounded "cool"
(there must be others who have used the expression; I don't know
them), but the basic premise of my thinking stands, and so I thought I
might elaborate on what I'm up to right now in order to highlight what
we were doing then.

I'm sorry to come into the conversation late, and not as a dancer, and
with a few deadlines looming (who doesn't have that?), but glad to
take part. My only interaction with dance-tech thus far has been a
lively argument with Matthew Gough off-list at some point, where he
was making a similar critique around pinning down structure with
regards to a presentation I had given in the Real World. I think his
point around defining interactivity and incorporating long-standing
dance practices into our more recent technologies is an extremely
strong one, and worth investigating broadly for dancers and
technologists alike - although it's not where my own interests lie,
nor where my field of research has lead me.

I'm interested in putting every day gallery-goers in situations where
they explore embodiment, movement, interaction, relationality (etc...
I'll add the disclaimer, "even if that means repeating what dance
practitioners may already 'know'"). My research sits between
performance and cultural studies, and my art centers around – more
recently than this piece with Jeanette – ludic interfaces that ask
participants to frantically chase or bend or stretch after signs,
carefully stutter or quiver between texts. I'm interested in the
per-formed (rather than pre-formed) relationships between embodiment
and other emergent categories (signification, looking, the production
of space, to name a few). I mean this literally, and one fine example
is here (check out the video):
http://nathanielstern.com/2003/stuttering/

The term "enfleshed machine" was used in 2001 for several reasons.
First, I wanted it to be thought of as more than a simple "reactive
software" -- it drove Jeanette's performance just as much as she drove
the projection. I'll paraphrase Brian Massumi in saying that a soccer
ball moves the players even more so than the players kick the ball...
Second, it had a skin (the screen), a moving body-image (animated
signs and projected shadows), a body-schema (in the shared space of
inter-action), a flux of significations (the text), etc. (I'm being
reductive in some of this, but I think you get the idea). In other
words, even tho it did not have a "body" on its own, it had flesh that
might be part of an embodying process (and, I would argue along with
Jean-Luc Nancy, that there is no "body" without "bodies," no "being"
unless it is a "being-with" - and so the same would be true of me,
Jeannette, you...). Third, and probably most important, I did not want
the computer/code/hardware/software/package/thing to be thought of as
a prosthetic. That assumes a dominance that, while relevant in the
preceding coding, is much more dynamic in the moment of interaction
and unpredictability.

That's all I have time for today, but looking forward to responses and
more. Warmly,

nathaniel
http://nathanielstern.com

--