[dance-tech] Re: Post symposium anyone?

  • From: "Johannes Birringer" <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <armando@xxxxxxx>, <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 17:53:15 -0000

dear Armando, dear all;

I'll start with the initial post, Armando, that you sent to the list,  we were
snowed in, so the answer comes slowly.

you raise a very interesting point (about curtatorship and organisation of such
events), you seem a littke pessimistic in general (about people talking
publicly) ,  and I'm sure you'll get interesting responses (for me the quick
coffee breaks do not necessarily always work either).

and by the way an entire list was formed a while ago
NEW-MEDIA-CURATING@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
which deals with such interesting questions, of the positioning of arts
practices (and dance tech or performance technological art and resaerch) vis à
vis  exhibition or curatorial (and i include symposia here) contexts and
recontextualizations.

Now, I note you say will curate one at home (if that is a proper way of
speaking about your base, Paris, France, or one of your bases), and two abroad,
and presumably the one in Tunisia attracts considerable attention here , we
seldom receive  much information about the practices and research in Northern
Africa, and that is changing now it seems, Philippe also addressed it.

Is this your reference to the "post colonial?, or how did you mean this, and
why would a "postcolonial" approach to a gathering (symposium) be different in
Tunisia (compared to say, in New York or Melbourne?  how do you engage place
and local culture, re: dance-tech,   and why would one do so, and to what end?

There is much to talk about here, since tech workshops in the past, to my
recollection, were not so much about the site, the place where we met, but
about software and new performance techniques, yes? data were extruded from the
body. sometimes from site.  so the workshops were about extrusions and
analysis.  Is this what you mean by (neo)colonial?

A different approach however has much to give us, I agree,  One always looks
for good, exciting models.

Armando, and others here on the list, you may recall our "Digital Cultures"
event in 2005, at Nottingham;  the combination of workshops (hands on creative
encounters), research presentations/dialogue,  forum discussions, and evening
performances -- I had pondered then, that such web of things would not be
enough, i hoped for another social dimension that would bring us together more
intimately or personally, and i hoped it would happen at the dinners.

My model was Mine Kaylan's venture, something she had started to do in
Bodrum/Turkey a few years back, and prior to "Digital Cultures" I had met with
Mine and asked her to help me in creating a version of her LELEG institute for
Digital Cultures.  The Bodrum site was used to bring artists and local people
together in a series of dinner conversations.

for Mine andf LELEG see:  http://www.digitalcultures.org/Symp/Mine.htm
and :  http://www.ucsia.org/main.aspx?c=.RETHUNIV&n=70295&ct=66546&e=181629

I think the idea of using the local village/place and the ritual role of
food/dinner in the community of people (and hosts and guests relations)  as a
kind of Platonic model for dialogue is quite splendid.
Mine was not feeling well during the November/December "Digital Cultures
event," she had a cold, and so my hopes for better food and talk were somewhat
dashed,
but the hope remains.

lastly, i think it was also Mine who introduced me to a work group of artists
from the Netherlands and the UK who in 2006 or thereabouts worked on a
practical experiment of explaining to ourselves the practices involved when we
make context-specifric relational art or conceive of relational architectures.

A small handbook has sprung forth from these wonderful workshops:  "The
Architecture of Interaction"  (AoI)

http://www.architectureofinteraction.net/

with regards
Johannes