[csdn-sa] Explanation...what is OpenSource

  • From: ian <snnn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: csdn-sa list <csdn-sa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 03 Sep 2003 16:12:32 +0930

I have just been putting together some stuff about OpenSource and CSDN
for a community web site I am helping to develop.
Please check out the following and help me get it right.

_________________________________

Ok, this is a software / operating system resource.

CSDN - Community Software Distribution Network - is a group of
enthusiasts who have banded together to form a distribution point for
OpenSource software.

Let me digress a bit to explain some of the concepts.

OpenSource software is usually written by people from around the world
collaborating on projects to provide us with an alternative to
ClosedSource software. For Closed Source look at any Microsoft product
or perhaps QuickBooks or PhotoShop or many other programs and
applications. The difference isn't just cost, though most OpenSource
programs are free. If a program is ClosedSource you are at the mercy of
the maker just when and if bugs will be corrected. As OpenSource
projects are almost always collaborative any reports of bugs or virus
holes will usually be corrected, most of them in days or weeks.

You also have access to the writers to offer suggestions and
modifications to the program.

Try doing that with Windows or Excel.

OpenSource is generally good for the community as it is often made
available in many community languages and localised fordifferent
regions. It is also usually freely given and shared so there isn't any
licensing and piracy concerns.

Is it as good as the ClosedSource programs? In many cases yes, depending
on what you already have and what you want to do with it.

But everybody uses Microsoft you hear. No, that's a myth to perpetuate
the MS Tax on your computing. Many communities, cities, corporations are
running and relying on OpenSource software. Many people use Microsoft
too. "To each his own" is just as valid in the ITC world. In almost
every case there is an OpenSource alternative to ClosedSource software.

So lets get back to the CSDN. How do you get hold of OpenSource
software? In most cases you download it off the Internet, then burn it
onto a CD so you can run it.

CSDN members will provide the latest OpenSource software on a CD for
just $2 each CD (of which $1 goes towards supporting the communities
that write the software).

We can provide Operating Systems, Office Suites, Learning and Teaching
software, just about anything you might be looking for can be found in
OpenSource and if it is available to be downloaded we can provide it.

Either contact me or check out our web site at http://csdn.auug.org.au