[csdn-sa] Re: Available Distribution Sets

  • From: David Lloyd <lloy0076@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bastill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:03:47 +0930

Brian,

> I have found Star Office 5.2 to be more stable and less annoying than Open
> Office 1.0.  Currently, OO1 will not default to saving in the format it
> received, and cannot save in nearly all the formats it should (and claims).
> OO1.1 or later might fix its problems, but for the moment, I'd recommend
> SO52.

Personally I think StarOffice is better than OpenOffice, primarily
because StarOffice is polished by a company with a marketing focus
rather than a group of developers not all of whom have marketeers
reminding them to make the product perform nicely and so forth. What's
the distribution licence of Star Office 6.0?

> BTW, I have FBSD 4.0 which is of no interest whatsoever except that it
> contains the text version of Greg's "The Complete FBSD, 3rd Edition"

Greg's updated that and says that the 3rd Edition is out of date. The
handbook seems quite sufficient and comes with most 1CD sets.

> Beware Suse - I'm not sure about the copy "rights" of their CDs and I'm pretty
> sure that iso downloads are not available except for demo disks.  Its an odd
> beast to support, too.

Yes, I know.

Action item: DSL to talk to Suse.

> Should we restrict ourselves to a limited number of distros/apps that we can
> support if necessary OR can we avoid any demand for support?

Avoid all support except the type that goes "my disk burner won't read
the discs you burned at 48X speed". Let linuxsa or buga or
freebsd-newies support the end product.

> I don't see how we could work with Computerbank as they supply complete
> systems with a customised Debian OS only, and will support nothing else.

I agree, however we could offer to act as drop off points for hardware
until they can shift it to their new premises.

> Our market would appear to be people who can't/won't afford broadband but do
> want to keep up-to-date, rather than the truly disadvantaged.

True.

> I have a tower case with nought but PS and floppy, a working system in a
> horrible case, and several HDs of various sizes.  Setting up the tower with
> several (three, anyway) HDs plus CDROM could contain a number of distros
> which would provide a useful testbed for us and be handy for demonstration
> purposes (I would have a use for it at the Installfest which is RSN).

The installfest is on the 7th of December at Enterprise House. The only
thing holding up the announcement is a certain sponsor ;-)

DSL
--
The Linux C Programming Lists: