[cs_edworkers] Re: CSEW members: please respond: New date and time for Marxism and Education Series

  • From: Portia Seddon <portiaseddon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 15:38:08 -0500

Hi all:

Unfortunately I cannot get away from another commitment on Friday, so I
won't be able to attend. I will do my best to help without being there,
though, and will send some notes that I use for teaching on this subject
(my students and I are discussing Engels right now). I have an MA in
Anthro, and as many of you know, teach in Women and Gender Studies, so am
familiar with the arguments.

The basic problem that most anthropologists have with Lewis Henry Morgan is
with what they argue is his linear view of history (savagery --> barbarism
--> civilization), which tended to be ideological fuel for colonialism. I
don't know whether Morgan's theories were overtly racist, or if the
bourgeoisie just gave it racial significance, so it would be worth looking
back at some of his work. But the basic finding that he made - that women
have relatively higher status in societies without private property - is
upheld. It is pretty much accepted, I think, that there has never been a
"matriarchal" society (i.e., systematic rule of women over men), but that
there have been, and continue to be isolated examples of, egalitarian and
matrilineal (what Engels identifies as "mother-right") societies.

Hope this will help,

Portia