[cs_edworkers] Re: CSEW members: please respond: New date and time for Marxism and Education Series

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "treslances@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 14:33:08 -0500

Marjorie,

I'll be there.

Mark

treslances@xxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: Marjorie Stamberg <marjoriestamberg@xxxxxxxxx>
To: cs_edworkers <cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, Feb 17, 2015 1:31 pm
Subject: [cs_edworkers] CSEW members: please respond: New date and time for
Marxism and Education Series

Hi comrades,

Please let me know if you can be there on Friday, February 27, from 5:30-7, so
I can send out a new posting to the various educator lists.   Charlie, who has
agreed to present at the next session, can do it on February 27th, but he
cannot be there on March 6.

Everyone is looking forward to his leading the discussion on Engels,The Origins
of the Family, Private Property and the State.

So we went back to square one, and with San's help, were able to get space on
Friday February 27, but we must start an hour later.  So it will be 5:30 to 7
(an hour later than usual).

This is an important discussion for a bunch of reasons.  It raises the crucial
question of the state, as its (lack of) understanding was glaring during the
recent experience with the Ferguson-Eric Garner protests.

That is, the bulk of the radical youth were angry and ready to shut down the
streets over "bad apple" choke-hold cops.  But they did not understand the role
of the system, the capitalist state, its cops and its courts whose class role
is to repress the working class and the oppressed. And so the whole movement
came to a  grinding halt in confusion after the December killings of two other
policemen.

Secondly, the Engels work has come under polemical attack from the feminists
who wish to discredit Marxism, and seize on Engels' association with the early
anthropologist Lewis P. Morgan, and the questions raised therein.

So--to do this discussion well, we need comrades there, and particularly hope
Portia can be there, as well as others adding their wisdom.

Please let me know...

On the Readings:
For Session 2, we decided to read Engels, The Origins of the Family, Private
Property and the State.  I have 4 new copies of the 1972 International
Publishers edition with the important introduction by Eleanor Burke Leacock.
These are $10 and will go to the first 4 people who contact me.

This same  edition with the Leacock introduction is also available on Amazon
for as little as $0.01 + $3.99 postage.  And the Leacock introduction is on
line at

 http://www.marxistschool.org/classdocs/LeacockIntro.pdf

Class Time
Most people indicated Friday was their best day. That could be changed for
future meetings.

This series is initiated by Class Struggle Education Workers. We
are active in the UFT, CUNY PSC, and other unions with education
workers.

cs_edworkers@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://edworkersunite.blogspot.com