[cryptome] Re: Surveillance Free Day Part 1

  • From: lucas power <power.lucas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 10:06:06 -0400

metadata n. a set of data that describes and gives information about other
data.
[1969   *Proc. IFIP Congr. 1968* I. 113/2   There are categories of
information about each data set as a unit in a data set of data sets, which
must be handled as a special meta data set.
1970   *Coshocton (Ohio) Tribune* 26 June 6/2   The FBI said [he] illegally
gained information from the computer system of Metadata Computing Inc. of
Louisville, Ky.]
1977   *ACM SIGMOD Rec.* Dec. 10/1   A simple inquiry of the data
dictionary can show what metadata (that is, data about data and functions)
remains to be collected.
1987   *Philos. Trans.* (Royal Soc.) A. *322* 373   The challenge is to
accumulate data..from diverse sources, convert it to machine-readable form
with a harmonized array of metadata descriptors and present the resulting
database(s) to the user.
1998   *New Scientist* 30 May 35/2   With XML, attaching metadata to a
document is easy, at least in theory.