[cryptome] Evictions are about to restart as tenants wait on billions in unspent rental aid

  • From: "Doug" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "douglasrankine" for DMARC)
  • To: Cryptome FL <cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:11:48 +0100

see url: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/07/30/evictions-moratorium-expire-rental-assistance/

see full article...It is one of the phenomenons of our most advanced and wealthy societies that homelessness and hunger and poverty and a lack of care for the most vulnerable; have become so prevalent on the pavements and sidewalks of our large cities.  Of course, democracy isn't about that or such human rights as to be free of such burdens...but more about how the surplus wealth and goodies is apportioned out amongst those who are in less need of it...we call it equality...or equity...and not equal opportunity...

Quote<<<

When the pandemic hit, Angela Bears was afraid that she would bring the virus home to her 3-year-old son, who was in treatment for kidney cancer.

She fell behind on rent for her Kansas City, Mo., home when she decided it was safer to stop going to her warehouse job. Bears said she applied for rental assistance multiple times this spring but never heard back.

Without any government aid, she is now $5,000 behind on her rent and fearing eviction. She is asking for donations online to stay in her home.

“I’ve got boxes. I’ve started packing,” Bears said. “The only thing at this point that matters to me is that my son doesn’t get sick.”

Bears is one of thousands of Americans who have been shortchanged by a yawning disconnect between two well-meaning policies lawmakers passed in response to the pandemic.

One, a federal ban on some evictions, is set to expire Saturday. Another, a $46.5 billion emergency fund aimed at getting rent to tenants at risk of eviction, has been painfully slow to get off the ground, with some states and counties unable to spend even a dollar of the money they were provided months earlier.

The expiration of the federal moratorium, following a last-ditch effort by congressional Democrats to revive it that is expected to fail, will leave renters with few pandemic-era protections as courts begin processing steep backlogs of eviction cases. Only nine states and D.C. have some kind of emergency protections for tenants that will last into August, according to an analysis by The Washington Post.