re:older CP cars in Princeton & Kelowna

  • From: Richard Sutcliffe <ras1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CPSig chatlist <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 09:18:39 -0800

1. older CP cars in Princeton & Kelowna
    Posted by: "Rob Kirkham" rdkirkham@xxxxxxx robert_kirkham
    Date: Sat Mar 3, 2007 8:31 am ((PST))

Looking through a dated copy of the Canadian Trackside Guide, I see that CP
caboose 436714 is supposed to be on display at Princeton at the Info Centre
on Hwy.3. I wonder if any of you can confirm this remains the case at the
present time?
It is several years since I was in Princeton. At that time the caboose was located near the top of the hill, West of the town. This is a wooden car, including frame, and it was in pretty sad shape. Both the end platforms had collapsed and there was rot showing on the siding.

Also, how deap would the snow be there at this time of year?
(I don't relish climbing below it for photos if its as snowy as Williams
Lake was this week!)

Likewise, the Guide indicates there is a refrigerator car, CP450243 held by
the Kelowna Heritage Society in Kelowna. I wonder if this is a steel car,
or wood sheathed, and whether it is accessible to the public?
We had a 7th division Spring Meet in Kelowna the year the car arrived.
It is an eight hatch, steel,OH bunker unit that was fairly complete at the time.
If I am not mistaken, Brian Pate thoroughly documented the car at the time.

Thanks to any who can answer these questions

Rob Kirkham

I guess when the snow is on the ground the light is good for under body photography <G>

Dick