Re: [cpsig] Re:Going DCC

  • From: "Roger Traviss" <rogertra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 17:02:16 -0800

Don't think about the expense of converting 30 locomotives all at once. Do it on the installment plan (like paying taxes). Start off with one or two units, your favourites, then as time and funds permit, and your expertise in decoder installation goes, add one or two at a time. You may want to add sound into some of the steamers too. It adds a whole new dimension, although it's not for everyone.

That's what people tell me but that approach only works for those among us who just like to see trains run.. For us operators, we need a fleet of locomotives in order to run the time-table. Even on my small GER I need some 20 DCC equipped pieces of motive power ranging from a Doodlebug or pair of RDCs through various classes of steam locos through a pair of two unit diesel consists. Equipping one or two at a time just doesn't always work. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and equip, as in my case, 20 plus locos in one go.

Happy New Year.

Roger T.
See the G.E.R. at: -
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra/index.htm