Re: [cpsig] Re: UCOR rules scenario ANSWER

  • From: "Roger Traviss" <rogertra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 21:24:31 -0700

As I said, this was intended for railfans since as Steve noted some are quite sure they know all about the rules. But, knowing the rules by rote and not having any practicle experience of working with them the real world is a far different thing. I ran across one such person years ago who insisted likewise. I then offerred this test question herewith. His answer was: Rule 42 Stop and do not proceed until you have permission from the foreman at the location.

WRONG!

The correct answer is: Comply with rule 41c which you do by sounding signal 14(c) one long and three short (flagman protect rear of train) and by stopping.

You do this because you have just exploded the torpedoes set down to stop your train and they must be replaced to stop the next train following you.

In this situation the flagman (rear trainman) who is supposed to be stationed in the rear vestibule of the last car to immediately respond would then throw off a burning red fusee and then when the train actually gets stopped, drop off and go back the required distance to flag.

However, the question was what would the engineer do.

Wouldn't he stop, whistle out the flagman and wait, and wait, and wait until the foreman showed up?

He may whistle for signals if he thinks he's waited long enough.

What the rear flagman does or doesn't do and what the conductor may or may not do were not part of the question. :-)

Roger Traviss

Home of the late GER
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra/