Re: [cpsig] Re: UCOR rules scenario ANSWER

  • From: "K V Railway" <kvrailway@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:09:54 -0700

John: From as long as I can remember, those mini-explosives attached to the rails were known as 'torpedoes' or sometimes 'guns.'
As for the definition of a railfan, well that's easy.

First of all, a true railfan:

- will drive hundreds or travel thousands of kilometres just to ride and/or photograph some obscure rail operation.
- will have hundreds if not thousands of images of trains or railway-oriented scenes.
- will tend to collect the damndest junk from railway operations.
- isn't a railroader by trade.
- isn't quite right mentally - chases trains.
- often knows more nit-picky little details than do the pro's.
- actually cares about nit-picky little details concerning trains and their operations.
- will argue endlessly and fruitlessly about nit-picky little details concerning railways.
- will (usually) never have actually worked under the conditions that railway trades do.
- will be a critter that genuine railroaders tend to view with a mixture of amusement, suspicion and irritation.

AND if any of those readers who happen to know me personally and have visited my home are wondering how
I justify stating that I am not a rail-fan, then I respond by stating that my collection of images and artefacts does not
qualify me as a rail-fan. These are simply the trophies and documentation of war! :>)

Joe Smuin