Re: [cpsig] Re: Canadian Railways Observations

  • From: "dave hill" <techill@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:55:36 -0400

Hi Don good arguements lets say we could go back to 1937 Mr Boden and his engineering are considering new power for Calgary- Revelstoke . The first simple articulated locos are out on Union Pacific Challengers there might have been a another simple articulated out even sooner . Do you go for what you know has worked the 2-10 -4 or do we build an experiment that will require lots of testing and time and the former experiment of 0-6-6-0 ended up rebuilt as 2-10-0 . The spiral tunnels are part of the line and dictate clearances that pardon the pun are carved in stone . The cost of modifying the upper and lower sprial tunnel would be prohibitive . So stick to what works just more units to do the job Also the depression was ending senior Canadian Pacfic were not sold on the diesel concept . I have read the story of the 8000, well NYC tried the high pressure concept and the european railways .It did not catch on anywhere . However I really wonder if the 8000 had run out of Montreal to Smith Falls and been able to receive the TLC it needed from the machine shop wizzards in the Angus Shops could it have worked ?? Proably yes because you would have the CPR engineering staff . and Montreal locomotive and the engineering departments of McGill and Queens a couple of hours away. Not a 3 day train trip away. Without the shop support of the Angus shops . I feel that the locomotive was not a techinal flop but a victum of location for testing . The Montreal -Windsor corridor could supply enough traffic for using the 8000 for dragging 100 car plus freights . When it comes to the after WW2 designs I did not know any actual published drawings of the 4-4-4-4 design that has allways made me curious and a semi streamlined 4-8-4 this I got to see. Now heat in the cabs and gas in the Spiral tunnels and the Connaught Tunnel was a big problem and diesels came early to the mountians because of this and a lot of other reasons . To have built more Selkirks in 1949 speaks very highly of their design and Canadian Pacfics commitment to steam fregards DAVID HILL
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Thomas" <thomasd@xxxxxxx>