Re: [cpsig] Re: Canadian Railways Observations

  • From: "dave hill" <techill@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 16:12:23 -0400

Hi Roger T had the answer a cab forward Selkirk wouldhave been great . When CPR stopped using steam in the spiral tunnels another very expensive problem developed the blast of steam and carbon had preserved the roof of the spiral tunnels . When the diesels came this was no longer happning the roof of the tunnel had to be lined with gunnite cost big bucks . In August 1963 I had my first ride thru the spiral tunnels aboard the Dominion Field to Banff a big $2.10 those were the days the dome cars had to be cleared of passengers going thru the tunnels cause if rock fell it wouuld go thru the plexiglass dome where as the stainlees steel roof provided more protection . Regards DAVID HILL
----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger T." <rogertra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>