Re: [cpsig] Fw: Central Maine & Quebec CEO: 'We'll have to prove ourselves'

  • From: "Roger T." <rogertra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 15:57:44 -0700

Speaking of MM&A, the three employees charged, what were their positions on
the railway?

Thomas Harding - Engineer
Jean Demaitre - Manager of Train Operations
Richard Labrie - Railway Traffic Controller

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/05/12/lac-megantic-train-disaster-leads-to-charges-against-three-employees-and-the-rail-company/

So the engineer get to carry the can even though he says he followed company procedures?

What about the fire fighters, what did they do in the cab when they were trying to shut down the unit? Not blaming them but what controls did they move? it's possible they released the brakes. Then there's the two MOW employees sent to check out the units and the train after the fire. Can't hold them to blame as they're not operating staff but why wasn't someone qualified in train service sent? And, finally, there's the stupid rules that permitted a train to be left, unattended, out on the mainline. That's THE root cause of the accident. If the train had not been left unattended, the accident would probably never happened. Trains are NEVER left unattended outside of yards in Europe. Explains their much better safety record I guess.

Roger Traviss

Home of the late Great Eastern Railway
http://greateasternrailway.com

More photos of the late GER at: -