Re: [cpsig] Espanola Paper Mill - CPR customer

  • From: "John P.H. Morgan" <morcomp@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 01:52:42 -0400

At 01:00 AM 7/29/2006, you wrote:

http://town.espanola.on.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=27
Ontario Archive has a 1946 view at:
http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/English/exhibits/paper/big/big_29a_kvp_company.htm
The above at:
http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/English/exhibits/paper/profiles.htm#kvp
also has a 1964 video clip if questionable use.
Don'k now if this helps but google had lots of hits for Espanola
Paper Mill history.

Peter Bowers

Thanks Peter, but those photos are from the town, or road side. None of them are from the rail side of the plant. I have copies of them, plus others taken from more or less the same vantage points. Google has lots of hits for the mill history, but nada for photos taken showing the rail side of the complex.

When the plant was originally built, it was located west of the Algoma Eastern (later CPR Little Current Sub) tracks and the town. Later as the plant expanded it started building to the east of the tracks as well, so much so that at the present day the tracks essentially bisect the plant. It is views of the plant showing the building layout and placement as seen from the tracks that I am interested in.

Dale Wilson rode the Little Current train back in the mid seventies and got a couple of shots of the mill from the train, copies of which I have. I wandered around in there a couple of years later and got a couple of roles of film worth of shots of mill and the station area, all but four of which were subsequently ruined beyond repair in a basement flood about twenty years ago. Since none of the shots I have show the buildings immediately to the west of the tracks and very little on the east side, I was kind of hoping that some of the other folks on the list might have something I could use to fill in the blanks.

John & Barb Morgan
Canadian Contingent, FEBT Rockhill Restoration Crew
Help us make Saltillo Station the last loss to the EBT!
www.febt.org