Espanola Paper Mill - CPR customer

  • From: "John P.H. Morgan" <morcomp@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 23:37:45 -0400

Hello all,

Does anyone have any photos of the E.B. Eddy (Formerly K.V.P, now Domtar) paper mill taken from the trackside of the complex during the 60s, 70s and 80s. I am designing a layout that will feature Espanola and would like to get the mill to look more or less right from that side, however other than a couple of Dale Wilson's photos of the trackside of the Mill and a couple of mine, both from the seventies I have nothing. There seem to be a few photos of the town side of the mill, but nothing from the other side.

Specifically I'm interested in anything of the buildings along the west side of the track, the sulphate mill, the paper mill, etc, and anything of the chip storage silos (the three concrete silos on the east side of the tracks at the north end of the complex, the lime kiln (the long building immediately south of the chip storage, the new chemical unloading area east of the lime kiln building (not the old acid unloading on the west side of the tracks deep behind the sulphate mill whose tracks were removed in the early sixties), anything that shows how the overhead walkway/ conveyor housing between the sulphate building and the lime kiln actually was laid out and whether it went anywhere else and how and what the kiln like inclined pipe just north of the walkway was hooked into, plus anything else along there of interest.

I would also be interested in anything more recent, as with what I do have, I can probably figure out what has been changed since the mid seventies which is the period I am modelling.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as currently I am still facing many "Here be dragons" areas that I have no idea of what they look(ed) like and I think that access currently to that part of the ROW is all but impossible unless you are part of a Huron Central train crew. There have to be more people than just Dale and I who've been in there with a camera. There just has to... please...

John & Barb Morgan
Canadian Contingent, FEBT Rockhill Restoration Crew
Help us make Saltillo Station the last loss to the EBT!
www.febt.org