Re: [cpsig] Dulux Gold versus Gold Leaf

  • From: Michael Rozeboom <michael.rozeboom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:32:47 -0400

Andrew_Malette wrote:

Hi All,

One place where the erroneous assumption that 1935 was the transition from Gold Leaf to Dulux was CDS. Although I do love their transfers, they did have in their descriptions of number 11 large Steam locos and 94 small steam locos "gold before 1935; imitation gold after 1935."

When I checked my lettering arrangements of various steam locos, the drawings indicated gold leaf up to 1949.
The use of gold leaf was costly and a time consuming method of lettering/striping. I believe that they were dry transfers that were sealed in place using something called egg white. I am not sure if egg white was a from eggs or a type of lacquer. At any rate, from what I have read, it was like using CDS and applying a finish. Masking and spraying a cheaper colour would be much more cost effective and less time consuming. And no overspray or setting agent.

Decals were very common years ago. A lot of intricate detail done on coachwork was in fact a decal.

That changed with the auto industry, because they wanted speed, and a single solid colour was the easiest way to go. Later they began to offer two tone paint jobs, for which masking tape was invented.

IIRC, Dulux was a Du Pont product developed for Ford, and part of the reason was faster dry time. Ford would eventually only offer his cars in black because black dried the fastest, and it was all about speed.

I don't have any passenger car lettering arrangements before 1960 so really can't comment on passenger equipment but I would hazard a guess that the same occured.

As an aside, when talking about that other road, the CNR, I have had various arguments about the same topic. Many feel that the use of raised cab numerals started in the late 1930's. However, the raised cab numerals coincided with the CNR's change from gold leaf to CNR Yellow number 11. I have a late 1948 Railroad Magazine photo with a caption describing with the change. This date of late 1948 - 1949 could mean that both railroads with their sense of economy would have changed their methods at this time.

This would be a case where alternatives that were now cost effective had become available, and they went that route because it cost less.

--

Michael Rozeboom
Team Amiga

-=-=-
... Real 3d v2: "Probably the most important program ever written for the Amiga - 95%".
-- CU Amiga, October 1993