Video of CP vignettes from Canmore to Golden on 9 May 1993

  • From: David Othen <othen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Atlantic Rails <AtlanticRails@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Canadian-Railways@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Canadian-Railways@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, canadianrailwayobservations Moderator <canadianrailwayobservations-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:14:44 -0400

CP's main line to Vancouver crosses the Rocky Mountains through the Kicking Horse Pass. After leaving Canmore Alberta the line ascends to the summit (Continental Divide) just east of Wapta Lake in British Columbia and then descends the Big Hill to Field. Originally the descent was made by a series of zig-zags but in 1909 two spiral tunnels were constructed inside Cathedral Mountain & Mount Stephen. On 9 May 1993 we see an eastbound grain train at Canmore and then follow a westbound loaded potash train with four SD40-2s on the point and two mid-train helpers, including a high nosed unit, down to Field and see it enter and exit the Lower Spiral Tunnel. At Field we see several trains changing crews and then follow a westbound grain train with more SD40-2s along the Kicking Horse Pass to Golden.

The video can be seen at http://youtu.be/jCz2V01PwSw

Enjoy,

--
David Othen, 2 Beverley Street, Dartmouth NS CANADA B2X 2K3
Railfan, photographer, videographer and webmaster.