CP Dental Car

  • From: Derek Boles <derekboles@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:00:53 -0500

I'm currently doing some research for an article on CP's North Toronto Station. In September 1931, CP displayed the new Ontario Dental Car to the public at NTS. The car was to provide adequate dental care in remote communities along the line. The car was donated by CP to the Ontario government but the dental facilities were donated by the Rosedale Chapter of the I.O.D.E.

Two questions:

1. Is this the same dental car now on display at the Smiths Falls Railway Museum?

2. What is the I.O.D.E.?

In a bizarre coincidence, I first came to Toronto with my parents in April 1966 as a teenager. We stayed at the Royal York and I went across the street to Union Station and then walked into the John Street coach yard to take some pictures. The first shot I took was of CP Dental car #69. Is this the same car mentioned above?

Thanks as always for the informed feedback I get on this list.

Derek Boles