BCInterioRR list was Re:Clearance Drawings

  • From: PBowers <57era@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 01:12:30 -0400

At 04:52 PM 23/05/03, you wrote:

Being one not one interested in marginal mailing lists, there being
far too many, even on Yahoo Groups. Why not re-incorporate the
BC Interior group into the fold (even the cpr-colour). I'm sure the
cpsig moderator would allow a few more members and posts on
this list.   -  Rainer Auer

Considering the BCInterior list cover three railways, (CN, GN/BN and CP) and their predecessors as well as the inland marine operations, and is slanted more towards the prototype, the list is not a logical fit for amalgamation with the cpsig list.

A more serious problem would be the loss of the list archives. Personally, I have posted information which has been the result of many hundreds of hours of research. That info includes info on shipping and mines throughout the Slocan area.

As for combining the cpr colour list, I think people would get upset with the technical banter that is going to develop as the discussions develop. The only reason the list exists is as a convenience to those taking part in the research. Originally, the idea was to just circulate messages between the interested parties. I've been there, done that, and I can tell you setting up the temporary list is the best way of handling this.

The colour list will be using the cpsig list for parts of the discussion but not to the extent that it will bore the majority of the list.

While many of us remember the days when there where two Canadian lists, we now have the opportunity to customize our likes by joining more specific lists as well as the more general lists. There is probably more than 50 Canadian railway lists to choose from today. Combining the volume of messages of all down to a handful of lists would result in very busy lists with a lot of redundant info for many subscribers. With a variety of lists, the subscribers can pick the areas they are interested in and skip the areas they are not interested in.

Each of us have our own ideas of what we would like to see. I believe in combining lists where we can but also developing new lists to meet a demand. Personally, I feel there is a place for national, regional and local lists. Locally we have a list and the subscribers regularly meet, have walking and biking outings and have layout open houses and slide shows.

Sorry for being long winded and a bit off topic for the list but I felt that I needed to clarify that the suggested amalgamations were less than a good move.

Peter Bowers
Owen Sound, ON Canada